|Name:||Gingered Winter Squash w/Pecans & Cranberries||Contributor:||Erin Darling|
|Description:||just saw this, plan to try it this weekend - i'm drooling already:||Posted:||2002-12-04|
|Key words:||squash, spiced, cranberries, vegetarian, vegan||Category:||Side Dishes|
|Ingredients:||1 to 2 lbs butternut squash
3-4 Tbsp butter, melted, divided*
2 Tbsp pure maple syrup
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 c pecan pieces
1/2 c dried cranberries or cherries
2 Tbsp white wine or water
2 Tbsp chopped crystallized ginger
* This recipe can be made vegan with butter substitute.
|Preparation:||1. Preheat the oven to 350. Lightly oil a large shallow roasting pan or
half sheet pan.
2. Peel the squash, slice in half and scoop out the fibers and seeds. Cut
into 1/2" cubes. Combine the squash, 3 Tbsp of melted butter, maple syrup and ground ginger in a large bowl and toss to coat. Arrange in a single layer in the pan.
3. Roast for 30 minutes, until the squash is tender, stirring every 10
minutes or so for even cooking.
4. While the squash is roasting, arrange the pecans in a single layer in a
small pan, such as a cake tin. Toast for 8 to 10 minutes in the oven,
until lightly colored and fragrant. Set aside.
5. Combine the cranberries with the wine and heat for 30 seconds in the
microwave or in a small saucepan over low heat, until the cranberries are
6. When the squash is tender, transfer to a serving bowl. Add the pecans,
cranberries and crystallized ginger. Toss to mix. If the squash is dry,
or if you prefer a richer-tasting dish and don't mind the additional
butter, add the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter and toss. Serve hot.
|Notes:||Guests will appreciate the festive presentation, studded with jewel-like
cranberries and crystallized ginger.